The Smart Robinson, Sr. Family Journal


On April 24, 1982, at the Washington, DC home of Ann Robinson Jones a committee formed with Selerya Moore at the helm. Its purpose: to compile pertinent data concerning Smart Robinson, Jr. and his entire clan in a written history. These proud descendants of the former slave and Georgia landowner set out on a two-year journey to build a lasting monument to the man and preserve his legacy for future generations.


Relying heavily on a very rich oral history, committee members gathered data from county, state and federal records. Family Bibles, scrapbooks and photo albums would also yield vital information and treasured mementos to be included in the finished project. Each assumed the role of census field workers, performing family head counts, in a lofty attempt to document the descendants of Smart, Sr.


Ms. Moore and her dedicated staff made every effort to create a thorough, authentic and complete record. As with most projects of its magnitude there were some errors and omissions. My grandmother and her sisters always maintained that their grandfather sired twenty-one children, but census records list only 18. They also told a hushed story about a daughter of Smart, Sr. and Sarah Robinson, who bore children for their master, then-Georgia governor, George Michael Troup. According to the legend, Troup’s jealous wife allegedly poisoned one of the children. With no confirming data, this story was not included. However, another story provided similar drama and intrigue. A passage taken from the book, Georgia’s Landmarks, Memorials and Legends, pp. 888-890, mentions a particular incident involving Smart Robinson, Sr. (note that spelling of the last name, changed by Smart, Sr. after emancipation)

Shortly before the Governor’s death a message from the overseer on the Mitchell Place, William Bridges, announced an unruly disposition on the part of a certain Negro slave. With his faithful coachman, the aged governor was soon at the lower plantation, thirty-five miles from Valdosta. On reaching the Mitchell place, fatigued by the hurried trip, the governor became ill and five days later brought the end. He was removed from his residence, nearby, long since decayed, and tenderly cared for at the home of Overseer Bridges, where he died on April 26, 1856. Smart Roberson, a colored slave, was mounted on a spirited young horse and dispatched to Glynn County to bear the sad tidings. Before reaching his destination, the steed was overtaxed by his rider’s haste and fell by the wayside. Faithful Smart, undaunted, pressed on by foot and delivered his message.


The Smart Robinson, Sr. Family Journal was published in time for our 1984 annual meeting and distributed at a cost of $10 per copy to cover printing costs. Over nearly three decades it has been a constant source of pride and inspiration. Despite errors and omissions, it remains a great reference tool for genealogical research, but it is long overdue for a second printing. Since this data was compiled, the Robinson clan has changed dramatically with marriages, births and deaths, also the unexpected discovery of a brother, separated during Slavery from Smart, Sr.


At our annual meeting in Valdosta on August 13-15, 2009 I plan to call for the formation of a committee to coordinate the second printing of the Smart Robinson, Sr. Family Journal. In the interim, I will act as editor until an official body is in place. With the advent of the Internet we have increased and improved access to information and statistical data. In the coming days I will post pages from the existing journal and ask that everyone with access contribute and share their knowledge as I begin the editorial process.


Members of the original Smart Robinson, Jr. Family Journal Committee:


Fred Douglas Baker

Bessie Robinson

Ann Boatwright Thomas

Charles Robinson

A. Louise Bratton

Dalton Robinson

Rhodeva Calhoun

Emmett Marty Robinson

Jeannette James

Eva Mae Robinson

Willie Pearl King

John Robinson

Ada Mae Mackey

Letha Robinson

Vergilene McDonald

Lovette Robinson

Lavader Moore

Rachel Robinson

Selerya O. Moore

Verdell Robinson

Sellers Moore

Wallace Robinson

James E. Powers

Frances Stephens

Sharon Redfern

Onie B. Strong-Hill

Nellie Rice

Athalee Troup-Jordan

Ann Robinson Jones

Mabel Williams

Bernice Robinson

Joyce Wise


15 comments:

Harold E. Hutchins Sr. said...

This is very interesting, Mr Smart Robinson was my great great grandfather, I would love to have copy of this journal, the New Growth.

Real Brown Diva said...

I would love a copy of the Smart Robinson, Sr. Family Journal. I am a descendant of the Robinson Family. My family (Clara Bell Mackey-Shealy) first journal was destroyed in a flood that destroyed alot of our family keepsakes and memories.I would love to have a new copy. I can be reached at damianandindica@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I went two reunion s, one in savannah and one in Cleveland. However, I have lost track the reunions and would love attend again. From what I remember a Baker married a Robinson and that is how I fit in. I would love to find out the latest reunions planned. My email address is pmahoney4@verizon.net. thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi I was wondering if you were able to obtain any information regarding the family reunion. lilthomas2003@yahoo.com
Shiela

Anonymous said...

My family went to several reunions also when my dad (Dewey Mackey) was alive.(He passed in 2010)Also we moved and didn't update our new address for the mailing list. Now we find ourselves trying to reconnect. Any info for this year's reunion would be greatly appreciated(...and I know its very soon). My email is ringrob@hotmail.com Robin

Anonymous said...

Need to reconnect with reunion. My email address is clarkv618@aol.com.

Nichelle said...

This years reunion is in Detroit Michigan an can be found under Smart Robinson Family reunion. Aug. 14-16th 2015. I personally will not be able to make it but will be there next year. Nichelle Smith great granddaughter of Sanders Mackey.

Unknown said...

My name is Ralph v Robinson And i'm from Jacksonville florida but live in Gainesville Florida.my father is Ralph Robinson and my grandparents Sarah Robinson Albert King even though I never met any of my family I have reached out and found some on Facebook I would love to attend family reunion I hear one coming up soon in Detroit but way short notice for me this has been a very important prayer for me to meet my family well if you could share anything pictures, etc please do my e-mail Ralph Robinson813@gmail.com or call me (352)339-0961

Anonymous said...

My grandmother is Clara Bell Mackey and we would like reunion info as well for the next one go round.
damianandindica@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I'm Debra Robinson Lockhart great granddaughter of Lemuel Robinson Sr I'm interested in finding out how I can purchase the Smart Robinson family journal my email address is debylockhart1@gmail.com 💕

Anonymous said...

Hi my birth name is Blandenie Mackey I’m the granddaughter of Henry Lee Mackey.I’m trying to get all the information that I can get about my grandfather.My email is Candy1956.dj@ gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I’m Ebony styles granddaughter of Gerald Robinson I go was Smart Robinson Sr. Great great grandson I believe (ebonyr92@gmail.com)

Anonymous said...

*My grandfather was Smart Robinson Sr great great grandson if possible can I get a copy

Anonymous said...

My grandfather was Willie Robinson and my mom and aunt was Irma Jean and Minnie Robinson my cousins Lenetta Vallisha and Curtis Robinson

Anonymous said...

Hello I'm Curtis Robinson I would love to connect also with family robinsck@uhnj.org. Smart Robinson was my great great grandfather