Church Drag (reposted)




My great aunts absolutely love hats. Aunt Viola is the most fanatic. We used to take road trips to Georgia every year for my great-grandfather's birthday or our family reunion. Aunt V. would travel with no less than three ornate hats for a week long trip. There would only be one day when a hat was required, but she always liked to have options. There would be at least five passengers in the car and at least three small children, but her hat boxes would require their own space, even at the risk of impairing the driver's vision.




Growing up Baptist and a bit conservative, I used to to think Aunt V's outfits were just a bit flashy until I was exposed to the Church of God in Christ and realized those women took flashy to a whole nutha level. I almost gagged, when at a COGIC funeral, a sister came in wearing a silver sequined tam cocked to the side. I've heard they even have a hat show in Memphis each November (disguised as Convocation). I really used to gag at some of the outfits I would see on their way to Sunday service, but then I had to ask myself, "Where the hell else are they gonna wear that?"



It was the same thing with my gospel artists. I grew up listening to Mahalia Jackson, who was usually in a tasteful gown or simple choir robe or Shirley Caesar and Dorothy Norwood, who preferred bright, conservative suits. Imagine my shock when I discovered the DDD (Detroit Drag Divas); The Clark Sisters, Vickie Winans, Madonna (she did gospel... remember Like A Prayer!), etc... I used to say the Clarks got their earrings from the chandeliers of the many hotels they've stayed at on the road... real big and sparkling. And the fashions! Ok... I realize these folks are performers, but some of the things they wear offstage are every bit as gaudy. I used to think it all too tacky, but now see the beauty in one being able to wear what they want with no judgment. And who I am to judge? My fashion sense is totally based on comfort. If it don't feel good, I ain't wearing it.

Check out some of the risks, the sisters will take:





And let's not forget the brothers...









Okay, I know that last photo is of someone, not outwardly afilliated with the church, but can't you see a pastor sporting this ensemble?

Rev. A Pimp Named Sweet Daddy: Where my b&*#^s at?
Deaconess: Preparing the communion pastor.

10 comments:

ThisMightBeMe said...

Nice post...Black folks tend to do up on Sunday....

Rodney said...

This comment was sent to me by one of my Yahoo 360 buddies:
LOL, Boy you are a mess. But the funny thing...we do be rockin' outfits like this at church. And when it comes time to take your money to the offering table....the aisles become runways!

WhozHe said...

Now that last pic is truly to much, I better not see a pastor walking up in a church dressed like huggy bear, oh wait, I guess I have seen it before (lol).

One Man’s Opinion said...

I have the purple joint.

Unknown said...

My mom use to rock the hats, prior to her stroke.

Jazzy said...

I loved this post. The women in my family aren't into hats, but my grandfather always sported a really nice hat. He was always dressed like he was really going somewhere...even though it might be just to the park to feed the birds.

For a minute I thought you and I were related as I read about your Aunt Viola.

My great grandmother's name is Viola and she also had a twin. She also had four kids and a set of twins who died. Sound familiar? lol

She was only four feet eleven but she was F.I.E.R.C.E!! lol

I have a picture of her on my mother's day post.

C. Baptiste-Williams said...

we were just commenting on one sisters hat at the Met this past Sunday...

Blah Blah Blah said...

I can't wear hats... well bseball hat's look good on me but... I don't know how that would look with one of my church outfits... ut I'mma rebel...so I might try it...LOL

One Man’s Opinion said...

TAG! YOU'RE IT!

Check the rules of the game on my post

http://newnegrogroove.blogspot.com/2007/10/tag-blogger-edition-what-happened-to.html

Cassandra said...

You are calling out a lot of women (and men) with this post. I am Baptist and it has not changed one bit...'cept the hats are bigger and flashier.